Sunday, September 14, 2008

Strangely Normal

You know what I did tonight? It was so weird, but great too. I watched a movie with my family. That doesn't sound weird to you? Let me give you some background. My brother recently got out of jail. He's been home for 2 weeks after being gone for about 6 years. It's weird to have a brother again. Elyssa is at her dad's, so Riley and I went to Blockbuster and rented The Bucket List. I looked around the living room as we got comfortable to watch the movie and realized this is the first time in 10 years or more that the four of us did anything together. It was weird. And it was fantastic! I didn't realize how big of a hole there was in our family. Looking back now, I can really see it. There was a gaping hole. It is such a normal activity - watching a movie with your family. It was nice to have some normal.

My dad has not had anything to drink in the two weeks Riley has been home. He has actually been smiling again. It's so strange. He was laughing at midnight! I can't remember the last time he's been up past 9:00.

I like having my family back together again. Thank you, Abba Father, that you have restored my family. Help us to stay strong for each other.

5 comments:

Amy said...

That is so wonderful! I'm happy for you and your family.

And you picked a great movie to watch together, too.

Anonymous said...

This gave me chills and made me cry. I'm speechless over your dad.
I love you and love to see God's blessings showering on you and your family!!!!

Carlotta said...

What wonderful blessings! Thank you for sharing them with us. What a beautiful family.

Carlotta said...

Yoo hoo! Where are you? Missing your posts and updates etc...

Amy said...

Are you ever going to blog again? :o)