Friday, August 01, 2008

Random Updates

1. I cooked fish for the first time today. I'm not much of a cook and I've been scared to buy fresh fish from the counter. I struggle so much with doing things I haven't done before. Even things as simple as buying fresh fish or even going to a different grocery store. I went to Sprouts today for the first time - love that store! I think my new haircut has given me some courage. Well, that and all the stuff I said in my previous post. The fish was very yummy by the way.

2. My dad is going to be fine. He had a fall which we all blamed on his drinking, but it seems it may be more the virus/low blood sugar thing that caused it. The doctor seems to think he is suffering from "post concussion syndrome" which I had never heard of! There is a syndrome for everything! We don't know that he actually had a concussion, but the doctor is not concerned too much by his Cat Scans. He is going to have another in a few weeks, just to be sure. I just called down there and he sounded like my normal dad again. Thanks so much for all your prayers.

3. I confronted my dad about his drinking while we were at the doctor. I didn't mean to pick on him, but the timing just seemed right. I got a lot off my chest - told him I was very mad at him for not being there with mom during my surgery and that I'd like him to be around for Elyssa and that he can't quit drinking all by himself. I was proud of myself. I don't have any hopes that he's going to actually do something. He says that he knows, but knowing and doing are very different. I probably should pray about it more. When I'm angry with people, I tend to not pray for them at all. I'll have to work on that.

4. I love my new haircut!

5. My ex needs to think more. He did not want Elyssa to cut her hair. My opinion is that it's her hair and if she wants it shorter then she should be allowed to do it. He walked in and just gave her a goofy look - we all knew he was kidding, but I wanted him to lavish praise on her. When he took her bag outside (and she was inside), I kindly said, "Little girls need to hear from their fathers how beautiful they are!" (At least I hope it was kindly said!) He said he thought her hair was great. I said, "Then TELL HER!" I wanted to add STUPID but refrained. He did then start telling her how beautiful she looked. Sigh. Men!

6. I've lost a lot of weight. Look at these pictures! Can you see it in my face? I can. The cubs picture is from 2006.


7. I am very tempted to put my blog address on my facebook. I've kept it very private and have only let a few friends and some random strangers (who have become friends) read it. I want to be more transparent, but don't know if that's a good thing. I tend to write with lots of detail. Some people only allude to the details of their lives, but I put in every stinkin' one! Does everyone need to know what I'm thinking? Would I edit my thoughts more if I knew more people who knew me were reading? I'm just not sure about what to do.

8. I love my new haircut! (I know I already said it once. It just bears repeating!)

9. I am almost fully recovered from my appendectomy. But right now my belly is saying, "you've been sitting at the computer too long! It's time to get up!" So I guess that's enough updates!

10. OK - one more. It's got to be a round 10! I want to write more! I miss it!

11. I forgot! My brother got to come to my grandmother's funeral. Doesn't he look great!? He
gets out on September 4th. We're all very excited!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin, I love reading your blog. You are a remarkable woman. The gifts I see in you are wisdom, insight, transparency and courage. The challenge to "search for Him" really hit a chord. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Amy said...

1. Good for you. I've never cooked fish.
2. Glad he's going to be fine. Prayer works.
3. Again, good for you. Sometimes we need to hear things we don't like.
4. So do I!
5. My ex is exactly the same.
6. I can tell. You look fantastic. We need to do pictures soon.
7. Go for it. That's how I found you. :o)
8. It bears repeating. It is awesome!
9. Glad you're feeling better. You know I would have helped. Hope you call on me if you need me.
10. I miss it, too. When will I ever find the time with full time work and grad school?
11. He looks great. What does he get out of? The military?

Carlotta said...

Girl, you and Elyssa both look great!
And I agree with Debbie...one of your greatest traits is your transparency and courage to be so open. I love seeing YOU in your writing. I am one of those who is not transparent with the details. I am trying to become more willing to let down my walls. You inspire me in many ways Erin!

Erin said...

Amy - sorry! I forgot you had asked about my brother. He's actually been incarcerated for the last 7 years - all drug related stuff. So we're really ready for him to be home for good and hopefully he's ready to try life a different way.

Debbie and Carlotta - thank you. Sometimes I think my transparency is not my best quality, but it's how God made me - it's got to be OK.

Anonymous said...

I think what Debbie said really expalins it - you are very insightful and becoming self awared, which is really great. We should all strive to do a little internal evaluation and improvement.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and that is a nice pic of you and Riely, but I know this is shallow.......but I can't even focus on you two because there is a man with a ponytail in the background.......which makes me laugh. hard.

Anonymous said...

self awared?? i obviously canNOT type.

Anonymous said...

Riley. I am correcting my typos as I go. I should work this morning.