Friday, August 01, 2008

Hidden in Christ


Isn't it amazing how you can feel so far from God so quickly even though you KNOW He hasn't gone anywhere? You know what else is amazing? How quickly you can re-connect with Him. He's right there. Search for Him!

I picked up the Bible study that I'm doing. It's been quite awhile since I've looked at it. It's called "Seeing Yourself Through Christ's Eyes" by June Hunt and it's awesome. Today's was about the fact that we are hidden in Christ. Psalm 32:7 says "You are my hiding place; You will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance."
Because He hides His truth in you, you are protected from wrong thoughts and wrong choices. The adversary of your life has not power to trap you. . . as long as you stay hidden in the shelter of God's wings where you are safe from emotional destruction, hidden from emotional ruin. ~June Hunt
I forget to keep myself hidden in Christ. It takes work. I'm not saying you have to earn your way to be safe with Christ. That's not it at all. By God's sweet grace, we get to be close to Him because of what Jesus did for us on the cross. But it does take some effort on your part to stay close to Christ. He's not going to do it all. It reminds me of a story I heard a long time ago. A man and his wife were sitting in his truck. He was driving and she was sitting in the passenger seat. They drove past a young couple who were sitting right next to each other in their truck - she sitting in the middle while he drove with one arm around her back. The wife turned to her husband and said, "Why don't we ever sit like that any more? We used to do it all the time." The husband replied with, "I'm still in the same place I've always been. It's you who moved away."

Isn't that so much the picture of our relationship with God? It's true for me. He is always in the same place. It's me who moves away.

The verse I have at the top of my blog is from Proverbs 2. "and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find knowledge in God." We have to look and search. We can't be passive.

I know I've written about that before. How quickly I forget. How repeatedly I forget. Urgh. It's frustrating. Because when I'm close to God, everything seems to go more smoothly. I'm happier. I'm peaceful. Do you ever try to blame your distance on other things? I sure do. "I haven't been seeing my counselor as much lately. Home group has been taking a break for the summer. I haven't been to church in weeks due to the funeral and surgery." While those activities are very important in helping to stay connected to Him, it can't be the only things. The way to stay connected is by opening up His truth and working toward knowing Him better.

That's really all it took for me today. I started my tiny little Bible Study that I've put off for weeks. It's tiny! I spent maybe 15 minutes reading and thinking and writing and praying. And today has been a wonderful day. Peaceful. Good.

So if you feel like hounding me with some questions as to how much time I've spent with God, I wouldn't mind it a bit. I don't want to use you as yet another excuse - "no one asked me if I was doing anything!" - but I would love the accountability.

Go. Search for Him. He's closer than you think!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin, I think you are one of those people that spends all of your time in a relationship with our Lord. That is just my opinion, but I have been reading your blogs for a long time. A relationship by nature has its ups and downs, periods of extreme closeness and distance, love and hatred. Many facets of emotion constitute any relationship, you are doing just fine I think.

Erin said...

Thanks for your insight Lance. :-)