Sunday, June 07, 2009

Set on the Spirit

I just got back from church. Matt spoke such truth today - it really stirred my thinking. I can't even summarize what he said. It was one of those sermons that where it was difficult to take notes because there was too much being said - I couldn't miss any of it. I need to listen to it again or talk about it with someone who heard it too. He attacked Bible-belt religion which always shakes me to the core since that is what I grew up hearing. A lot of the truths that I thought were truths are in actuality only partially true. And partially true may be worse than flat-out lies.

Matt was teaching from Luke 18 - the story of the rich young ruler. After Jesus spoke to the young ruler, the people were like - well, how the heck can we be saved then? I love the simplicity and greatness of Jesus' answer, "What is impossible with men is possible with God." Thank God He can do the impossible.

Then Matt moved to keeping our mind set on the Spirit. He took us to Romans 8.
5For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. 6For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. 7For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. 8Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
Is my mind set on the Spirit? Can my mind be set on the Spirit and also be interested in very earthly things? How does a girl set her mind on the Spirit but at the same time have other thoughts going on up there? Can the two things go on at the same time? Can I still want the other thing while at the same time strive to let Jesus be the center? Can I let Him be in charge of every facet of my life, but at the same time plead with Him about the things I want? I talk to God often during the day, opening up my hands around my desire while I'm also asking Him for that same exact desire.

Ugh. It's confusing in my head and it's not any better typed out. I'm not even sure why I'm writing.

Thank God He can do the impossible.

No comments: