Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Cross. The Swastika.

Oh yeah, I have a blog. Wow. It's been months. Anyone still reading?

So a girl I know wrote this as her status update on facebook:

"I look forward to the day when the cross sits discarded beside the swastika as just another reminder of the dangers of blind faith." -Craig Smiths.

It bothered me quite a bit, but I didn't know how, or if, I should respond. I kind of feel like I should have responded, but she's way smarter than me and I don't think I could defend myself logically - which is what seems to be most important to this lady. I do like this girl a lot. We aren't hang out buddies or anything, but she's got a lot of great qualities. I just wish she wasn't so lost.

Anyway - this is what I wanted to write:

I wondered how can these two things be compared to each other. At first I thought it was just plain craziness. The swastika is a symbol of total tyranny and hate. It is a symbol of death. That's when I stopped. I guess there are some similarities. The cross is a symbol of death too. But a very different kind of death. The swastika symbolizes one man's vision of perfection. The cross symbolizes perfection in Christ. The swastika is a symbol of killing others who are different than you. The cross is a symbol of one Man (different than us because He was sinless) dying for you. Of course, Christians did (and I'm sure still do) kill for their belief. But that's not what Christ wanted. Imperfect people - sinners - kill in the name of Christ. But Christ did not want that. Christ came in love and peace. He died so that we don't have to. I guess the cross and the swastika have some similarities, but they aren't the same thing at all.

11 comments:

Amy said...

It's not too late. You should respond. I like your response. It might just start a conversation that you need to have with her. Good luck! Don't less this opportunity to share God's love with a lost person pass you by.

Jim C said...

"Blind faith?" Are you kidding me? What a gift so-called "blind faith" played in the healing of the daughter of a woman who would not give up, a centurion who came for healing of his son, for a woman bleeding for years, for blind men, for lepers, for dead old Lazarus. And for those who have little or not enough faith, like Thomas, holes in His side and hands.

"Without faith it is IMPOSSIBLE to please God." We put faith in planes, in cars, in government, in wives and husbands, in lots of things. Yet, why are we sooooo reluctant to put faith in GOD?

"Blind faith?" Are you kidding me?

And, yes we have been waiting for you to blog again.

Erin said...

Jim - the blind faith got me to, but I wasn't sure how to respond to that one. I love your examples.

Amy - I may try to respond, but I may wait for her next one. She puts things up like that all the time.

Both of you - thanks for still reading. I need to get back in the groove. :-)

C. Howell said...

It's also interesting to point out that the Swastica was a symbol of hatred, dominance, and death; the cross is a symbol of sacrifical love for everyone, regardless of race or anything else, and acceptance... they are hugely different.

Torkel said...

I like the girls quote. I feel that what she is pointing at is the fact that these are both symbols of faith and they can both be used wisely or be abused.
For example the swastika, which is a very powerful symbol in many cultures, originally is a spiral pattern representing the creative power of the universe. You might say that it is a symbol of the Creator in traditions that presided the religions.
The fact that less conscious or more corrupted movements also choose to use the swastika as a symbol and that we who live in this time then choose to give it that more evil connotation is for me a real strong validation of her point. Lets take a look at some of the simularities:
They are both symbols. They have both been used to connect with the creative power of the universe. They have both been used to build empires.
They have both been used to slaughter millions of innocents in the name of righteousness.
They can both be used to connect with the original creative power of total faith.
They can both be used to remind ourselves of the dangers of blind faith.
See: I responded. I am really curious to what the girl would have responded to you if you had commented on her post. It sounds like you have great respect for her and she probably had some powerful reason to post something so radical so it could (or can) surely be an interesting dialogue!

maybe said...

I'm appreciate your writing skill.Please keep on working hard.^^

Dany said...

To some people, the cross symbolizes the same things as a swastika. Just as a Swastika symoblized hope and the future to those who held it in such hh regard.

In the end the symbol means nothing but the act is everything.

Whitney said...

They are definitely two very different things!

Robyn said...

I came across your blog today, I hope you don't mind me commenting on this.

I'm not a Christian, I don't even believe in God.. I'm not here to bad mouth tho, I'm not like that, I mean no disrespect in your beliefs, I firmly believe in to each his own.

I just wanted to put in my two cents. The person who wrote this has a valid point, as do you.

The Cross is seen as this holy, awe inspiring spectacle when in fact it was a torture device.

Jesus's face should be what you all worship, not the device used to kill him with. That's like worshiping a blade. I think the Cross is a slap in the face to Christians. It's proudly displayed everywhere you look like it's a comfort when in fact it's a reminder of the pain that man went thru... for whatever reasons.

The swastica is also a reminder of Pain... you said why yourself...

So the two do have a lot in common. I can see the girls point.

Again, don't take my words the wrong way, I respect everyones beliefs and am not saying anything negative, just felt the need to comment.

Love your blog btw. Thanks for letting me look around. =)

Unknown said...

It's additionally fascinating to call attention to that the Swastica was an image of contempt, predominance, and passing; the cross is an image of sacrifical love for everybody, paying little heed to race or whatever Do my Research Paper for Me else, and acknowledgment they are colossally diverse. Jesus' face ought to be what all of you love, not the gadget used to execute him with. That resembles worshiping an edge. I think the Cross is a slap in the face to Christians.

Yang Kuo said...

I'm appreciate your writing skill.Please keep on working hard.^^



แคมฟรอก