Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Read to Me

I was at a writing training today. TAKS writing - very boring! But we did get eight minutes to write and this was mine:

"Mommy, will you read to me?" I love hearing those words. I can see my little girl looking up at me with her big brown eyes. Sometimes I want to tell her that I just have too much to do - there's laundry and cleaning the house and doing the dishes. But, when I open my mouth to speak, yes is always the first word out. That pile of laundry will wait patiently for me. The house doesn't care if it's messy. Dishes? We can always use paper plates. But my daughter - she won't wait patiently - I guess that's better said as time won't wait for us. Before I know it, she won't want to cuddle with her mommy and read. And unlike the house, Elyssa cares if I spend time with her. So with a smile, we head to our favorite spot - smack dab in the middle of my bed. As we get comfortable, I smile and say, "Who's reading first?" One thing I know for sure, this is the time I have with my daughter and I don't want to miss it.

No comments: