Sunday, February 10, 2008

Do You Believe?

God is amazing.

My counselor is making me write why I believe what I believe. I think I mentioned that already. (I still haven't started.) Guess what church was all about?

Matt's sermon today was on whether Jesus is a liar or not. He asked us if we really believe what Jesus said. We're going through the book of Luke and read through Luke 4-6 tonight. Matt walked us through how Jesus came to "preach good news to the poor. . . to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." And then, in His ministry, right out of the gate, He went straight to the poor, oppressed, blind and helpless. He said what He was going to do and He went and did it immediately.

We tend to believe more of what people DO than what they SAY. Jesus has done exactly what He said He was going to do. So, do I believe or not?

Matt told us to "get over ourselves." We so often think we can't be of service to Him until we get our act together. But God constantly uses the broken and oppressed, because when we are weak - He is strong.

Abba Father, ~ I want to run to You - not away from You. Give me courage and strength to quit focusing on my deficiencies and truly know Your love for me. Give me the faith to believe in Your perfect plan for me. Give me the faith to believe in Your love. Pour it into me Lord so that I can be of use to You.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When it comes to allowing God to use us (He wants to), we take the strangest approach. It goes like this. Someone is in deep dispair, they've given up hope, they have nothing left. And God parks them on our doorstep. We claim we cannot help because we are not yet whole, we are still sin-filled, and there are far superior people to do the job than us. But why did He park then on OUR doorstep? Why not someone else's? Could it be that in giving hope to others, we ourselves are healed? We, more than others, KNOW their dispair, and most importantly, we know THE answer!

Anonymous said...

God IS using you know - you constantly minister to my heart and make me consider God in ways that I wouldn't be doing on my own. He is using you in powerful and convicting ways - just as you are, right now, today!