Thursday, January 15, 2009

Bible Study

My problem with Bible study is that I don't want to do something like a Beth Moore study - no offense to Beth. I'm sure they're awesome. I just want to do a Bible study. But I just don't feel like I know how. I was telling my counselor (who I finally got to see again last Saturday - long story - more later) that what turns me on the most is having a bunch of books spread out on a big table and a big spiral for me to take notes in and an outlet for sharing what I learned. I want to know the history behind what's going on and what words mean and why they were chosen and how it connects to other things in the Bible. Honestly, I should go into seminary because I think I'd love it. Not that I want to be a preacher - I just want to take the classes. But that's not something I see in my immediate future. Although, the dad that I was talking to yesterday told me about a class called "Precepts" which I think my church is offering or has offered or something. I need to look for that. And my counselor suggested me finding a class to take in a college - maybe even at seminary. Hmmmm. But now I'm off topic. . . .

The dad told me about a book and I bought it today and I am fired up about reading it! It's called How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth by Fee and Stuart. I've read the first section or so and it makes so much sense! Lucky you (you can read that with or without sarcasm - your choice!) I'm going to share some of what I learned. I was reading and taking notes and rereading and summarizing. It was great fun for me! After an hour, I kind of felt funny because I hadn't read the Bible at all - but I think this book is going to help me read the Bible better, so it's worth it.

First of all, there are two words that you need to know. Exegesis means finding what the biblical text originally meant (then and there). Hermeneutics means hearing the same meaning in the different context of today (here and now). The goal of Bible study should be to do both well. (Now I'm going to seem to go off task but it winds itself back to these two things, so keep reading.)

We must interpret what we are reading. The purpose is to get at plain meaning. The authors say that usually when someone finds a unique meaning, they are often wrong. We should not dive in trying to find something unique - that really points to pride. "Correct interpretation, therefore, brings relief to the mind as well as a prick or prod to the heart." (18) There were some great examples of other religions who find "plain meaning" in parts of the Bible that support their kooky ideas, but I'm not getting into that part right now.

One cool thing was the description of the duality of the Bible - it is, at the same time, both human and divine. It is God's word, but it is written by human hands in human words. God chose to deliver His word this way for a reason. I'd never really thought about the why of that. ". . . He chose to speak His eternal truths within the particular circumstances and events of human history." (22) This should give us hope. Since He chose to speak to us in the context of human history, we can believe that the same words will speak to us right now in our history. He also chose to use every available type of human communication - all types of genres: laws, genealogies, historical narrative, poetry, riddles, prophecies, drama, parables, letters, sermons. . . everything you can think of. We need to know the special rules that apply to each type of genre so that we can best understand what He is trying to tell us. I knew the Bible was made up of all those different types of writings, but never ever thought of why God did it that way. It makes perfect sense. He had a reason for throwing all that together. That's greatness! I know it's kind of 'duh,' but it's like a light bulb went off. Funny how you can know something but not really know.

Since He shared His Word with real people, He had to use events and language that they would understand. "God's Word to us is first of all His Word to them." (23) We are far removed from that time. That's why we need to learn to interpret the Bible. Before we can learn why it is important for us, we must first know why it was important to them.

So first we have to know the then and there meaning (exegesis). Then we must learn to hear the same Word here and now (hermeneutics).

It's cool! It's deep! It's real Bible reading. I'm very excited. I'll probably be writing about this some more, so I hope it's somewhat interesting to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well? How was the rest of the book? Worth reading?

Erin said...

It's slow reading but I love it still. I got stuck in the "good translation" section b/c it was super boring, but I realized I didn't HAVE to read that section so now I'm moving again.