Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Double Conference

I had a conference with a parent today about his child. The student is struggling in school a bit so we were just going over strategies. This conference was about 20 minutes long.

Then I had a conference with this same parent for about 30 minutes about his field of study. He's in seminary. We talked about Bible study and how I don't do it very well and he was giving me some ideas and is going to write down some commentaries and books that I should get. I was explaining how I don't want to do a Beth Moore study - I want to do a Bible study. But I wasn't very good at it. I didn't have the right tools. It was great! I told him I was sorry I took up so much of his time, but that I really enjoyed our talk. He laughed and said that was his area of expertise. I'd already shared my expertise so it was his turn.

I really enjoy talking to this parent - he and his wife are awesome! I just think it's cool how in a public school where we're not supposed to talk about God, an almost-pastor and I can discuss God's great writing and how to best learn it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't mutual respect a great thing? I'm glad the conferences were so productive.

Amy said...

That's great! Make sure you share his tips with the rest of us who have similar struggles.