Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Connect the Dots - La, La, La-la

Did you watch Pee-Wee's Playhouse? He used to sing that - Connect the dots. La la la-la. (How on earth do I start a spiritual post with Pee Wee Herman?!)

God has connected some dots for me in the last day or two. I like it when He does that.

First I'm reading a book that a friend gave me. I refuse to give you the title because I hate even admitting that I'm reading a book like this. Before you think it's like a Harlequin romance or anything (do they even make those any more? do people really read them?), it's a Christan book for single ladies. I will NOT write the title because honestly, it's embarrassing. Debbie actually gave this book to me months ago, but I don't want to read books like this. (Hmmm - do you sense the same pride issue that I'm sensing?) Due to some recent circumstances, I decided to pick it up and just see what it was about. I'm going to copy part of it here (and if the copyright police are watching, I don't know what to tell you. I don't want to write the title!) The beginning of the book is about having intimacy with Jesus.
When Jesus knocked on the door of your heart and you let Him in, did you assign Him a seat in your living room and leave Him there? He wants the two of you to be so close that He can freely roam around and make Himself at home in your private world. But He also respects your space; He is not going to move off that couch until you ask.
How's your conversation with Jesus? Is it an even exchange or is it boring, formal, impersonal, and one-sided? Jesus wants to sit on the floor, share popcorn, and discuss your day. He wants to talk about what you like and don't like, what makes you laugh, cry, or sigh.
There's more of course, but the teacher in me (cite your sources!) won't let me copy any more without . . . citing my source. And I refuse! (If anyone asks, I do not read books for single women. I just don't. So there!)

Now back to my point - can't you just see Jesus on the floor with you eating a snack and asking about your day? Does that stir anything in your heart? It sure does in mine. The thing is - Jesus doesn't want to be in just one part of our heart. He wants it all. And the scary thing is that it may hurt a little because He's going to clean house and tear down walls and let in lots of light so nothing bad can hide in there.

Which brings me to dot number two. I'm reading my Bible again! Isn't that amazing? (I know life works better when I read the Bible, but I continue to not make time! Ugh!) I was reading 1 Corinthians 3:16 which says, "Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?"

Dot number three. 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 says, "For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."

Then tonight came dot number four. Galatians 5:17 "For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other to keep you from doing the things you want to do."

And dot number five. Galatians 6:8-9 "For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up."

So now you want me to connect all the dots for you, right? Or at least show you how they connected for me. I'm tired and have to sleep so I'll attempt to keep it brief. (We all know how well that works for me, right?)

Jesus is in my heart just cleaning house. I've gotten lazy with the status quo. I think I relegated Jesus to the living room, thinking He could watch CSI and hang out. But He's not there to watch CSI. He wants to be with me. He wants my attention. He wants intimacy with me! He's knocking down walls and pointing out things I'd rather just forget. I've tried to keep Him out of certain closets and bathrooms, but He's very adamant that He goes in there. But since I am His temple, I kind of want Him to do whatever He thinks is best. And sometimes what is best is for things to come out in the open, even if they are embarrassing. (I'm still not sure I agree with that. I wasn't trying to get anything out in the open. I honestly was quite happy with things being the opposite of out in the open.) But it's just a momentary affliction (although momentary can seem to last a long long time!) and it's preparing me (somehow!) for eternal glory. And maybe, just maybe, I should get my mind off the worldly things I can see and put my mind on the unseen things. Those unseen things are eternal! But it's a battle because the desires of my flesh are at war with the desires of the Spirit. But I need to not grow weary of doing good. Sometimes I want to stop being the good girl. I want to just have fun. But I can't grow weary of doing good because I can't give up. I want to reap eternal life from the Spirit, not corruption from the flesh.

There. It's what God is telling me right now. Imagine all the wonderful things I could learn if I'd make time for Him every day!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Great post!