Monday, May 25, 2009

What To Do?

So when I write, do I pretend I don't think anyone is reading? You know, be an ostrich? If I can't see anyone, then no one is really there. How do I balance spilling my guts like I usually do and not saying too much?

Maybe one suggestion is to have a private blog. I have a journal - funnily enough, this is not the place I really spill my guts. (Can you imagine reading that one!?)

Do I change how I write because people are reading? I've asked this before I think. I know there are some of you who write without really telling the details. I'm not sure how to do that. Should I learn how or just keep writing? Ugh. It's confusing.

The thing is - my deepest desire is to be fully known by others. So, I think that means I just keep writing. If I get embarrassed, then so be it. Right?

4 comments:

Lance said...

Sounds like you answered your own question in the last paragraph. If you want to be fully known by others you will not be liked by many (most even), but those that stick around will be true friends...sounds like a fair trade to me. My opinion.

Erin said...

So true Lance! Therein lies the problem. My struggle is that I think everyone has to like me. Having "most even" not like me!? Gasp! I'm still learning to be OK with that. But you're right - true friends are what matter.

Sean said...

That your deepest desire is to be fully known is a good, God-given desire. The truth is that the only one who will ever truly and fully know you (or any of us) is Christ. This is a beautiful truth, because he is also the only one who will ever completely and unconditionally love us exactly as we are. Even the couple in the best marriage we can imagine only reveals to us a shadow of what we find with Christ.

As for how much do you write in your blog so that you might be known by others...a thought to ponder...
Those whom you let in to know you are given a very special privilege. That is not a right afforded to everyone, but a special gift. Even Christ exemplified this with his disciples. There were 12, but it was only James, John and Peter who were invited into the inner circle of intimacy with Jesus.

Take what you like, and leave the rest.
Sean

Erin said...

Thank you Sean. Exactly what I needed to hear.