Friday, November 10, 2006

Captivating

Have you read this book? Get it. Read it. It's written for women, but I think a man could learn from it too. It's by John and Stasi Eldredge. He wrote Wild at Heart, which is for men. I want to read that one too.

I've only read about half. Last night, I was in tears - sobbing - because of Christ's love for me. It's the chapter called Healing the Wound. The next chapter I haven't had the strength to read yet. It's called Romanced. It's my heart's desire and I know that Christ can do it better than any earthly man. I'm afraid it will overwhelm me.

One passage that it pointed out was Isaiah 61:1-3. This is the passage that Christ refers to in Matthew 11:4, when He begins His earthly ministry.
The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion - to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.
Below is how the authors paraphrase it for you and me. But first, I want you to picture Jesus, looking you straight in the eye. Can you see His love? Can you imagine the tenderness in His face? Can you see how He is completely and totally in love with you? Maybe He is holding you by the shoulders. Maybe your face is gently held by His hands. Can you keep your eyes on Him as He says this to you? Don't avert your eyes. Don't you dare. Look at Him and listen:
God has sent me on a mission. I have some great news for you. God has sent me to restore you and release something. And that something is you. I am here to give you back your heart and set you free. I am furious at the Enemy who did this to you, and I will fight against him. Let me comfort you. For, dear one, I will bestow beauty upon you where you have known only devastation. Joy, in the places of your deep sorrow. And I will robe your heart in thankful praise in exchange for your resignation and despair.
Can He really do that? For me? He will - He did - and He will for you too.

All you have to do is ask.

No comments: