Sunday, November 26, 2006

Whispered Love To Me

You may be sick of my song lyrics. But I've got another one for ya. I was listening to Third Day's Wherever You Are album while waiting for Anthony to get to Cristina's (that's the restaurant parking lot where we meet for the weekly kid trade-off) and was finally listening to one of the last songs (It's called The Sun is Shining) and heard this:

Yesterday I found
That everything I knew was wrong.
It was upside down.
The life I thought I had was gone.

But You came and whispered love to me.
And You gave me stregth to carry on.

How cool is that? "You came and whispered love to me." Awesome.

Another cool thing came from a podcast I was listening to. It's from Hebrews. Have you ever read Hebrews? It's a hard read. Matt (the pastor at The Village) has a series walking you through it.
Hebrews 4:1
Therefore, since the promise of entering His rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it.
Chapter 4 goes on about how God has communicated His rest to us since creation, starting when He rested on the 7th day. But many have fallen short of that rest - think of Israel not getting into the promised land for 40 years. That was totally due to fear - they were afraid of tall people. David had all the wealth and total protection for Israel, but reminded them that home for the soul is not wealth and safety. Home is with Christ.

Matt said that the NIV translation is bad - it shouldn't say be careful it should say let us fear. We need to fear falling out of God's rest. He had a cool analogy of his daughter running toward the street and him putting fear into her about the danger of the street. Not that the street is bad, not that you should worry because the street is out there, not that you should never go into the street, but to fear the street's dangers. You must be careful when you go into the street.

We need to fear the street. We need others to keep us accountable for when we are going near the street. The street is different for each of us. I think my street is getting lost in fantasy land and trying to rush things when I shouldn't. I think I use this as an outlet so you guys can remind me when I'm getting near the street. We can't be embarrassed of our streets. That's what Satan wants us to do - be embarrassed and ashamed and hide it from everyone. We've got to let the Light shine on our streets.

So now a good writer would somehow connect the song and Hebrews together. I didn't plan on writing about both of them at the same time. Hmmmm. How's this? God continuously whispers love to us because He wants us to stay in His rest. But I think it is something we have to pay close attention to. I've only recently begun to really focus on the whispers. There are so many examples that come instantly to mind - a song, a book I'm reading, an IM chat, reading a story to the kids at school, an email . . . He's telling me He loves me all the time. I think I can't hear Him when I get in my street - it's too loud and rowdy. It's too full of other people and especially too full of myself.

Abba Father, Help me to hear when You whisper love to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the analogy of being in the street! That's SO true! Even in good times, you can get so lost in what's going on and the madness and not hear the whisper! And the whispers from God are SO beautiful!
Thanks for that! I love it!