Sunday, May 20, 2007

What Do You Think About?

Tonight, Bleeker (the music pastor) said something that I've heard many times before, but most assuredly needed to hear tonight. He said, "What occupies your mind? Because what you think about is what you chase." I had to put my head down and pray because I'm letting something take up a lot of my thoughts. I asked for forgiveness and for His help in keeping my thoughts on Him. I've grown so much closer to Him in the last year and I don't want to step backwards.

See, here's the thing. I may have a date in the near future and it's with someone who already knows me and wants to take me out. On a date - him and me. On a date. That hasn't happened since my divorce. I haven't been on many dates, but they were all strangers that I had to meet. I've known this guy for years (never really well), but right now is the first time we're at the same place in life. I'm still not sure I believe it will happen, but it has definitely been on my mind. Too much.

Don't get me wrong - I still want to be excited. I still want to wonder. But I don't want to misplace my focus. I feel like this might be a test. What's Erin going to do now? Was my devotion to Him only in the bad times? Were my thoughts on Him only because I didn't have anyone else? My God ~ I don't want that to be true.

So God ~ I pray for strength to keep my focus where it belongs. On You. Lead me even more than usual in the upcoming weeks. Show Yourself to me so that I won't let some dude take Your place in my mind. I want to think about You first and foremost.

Psalm 63:1-3
O God, You are my God, earnestly I seek You; my soul thirsts for You, my body longs for You. . . . Because Your love is better than life. . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow - nail on the head. I struggle with that myself... being SO in love with Trae and keeping God as the "main man" in my life. I probably need to share your prayer of focus and priority. Thanks for the reminder!