Monday, June 04, 2007

First Base

Elyssa asked me today, "Did you ever slide into first base with my dad?"
Huh?
Then I remembered that stupid Texas Rangers billboard that says
First Base
has nothing to do with
Kissing
I was cracking up! She had asked me about that sign a long time ago and I struggled through how people used to say that kissing was like getting to first base. How do you explain that? Then I was concerned about the other bases! What if she asked about those!? Luckily she has not asked about those. I'm sure it's coming.

Then to answer her question about first base with her dad - ugh. It was funny. "Yes Elyssa, your dad and I used to kiss a lot. But not any more." Just awkward weird funny stuff. And I know this is only the beginning! I want to be honest with her so that when it matters, she knows she can ask me anything. But I also don't want to tell her more than she needs to know. It's weird.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Coming from a totally ignorant and non-mom perspective... however, I have HEARD that kids kind of ask what they are ready to know. I guess that doensn't mean that you tell them gory details, but if what I've heard is true, then maybe at least you can have these awkward, but "age appropriate" conversations - however... a "home run"... yikes... maybe she'll be 30 when she asks about that one!