Friday, June 01, 2007

Unfailing Love

This verse brought tears:
Psalms 33:11
But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of His heart through all generations.
It's comforting to know that no matter what - God's purpose will be done. Even when we don't get it. Even when it doesn't go the way we think. God's got it all under control. I also like how it says "the purposes of His heart." I don't know that I think about God's heart very much. It makes Him more of a man I can hug rather than crotchety old judge guy looking down. Is that totally disrespectful?

I also read this:
Psalm 32:10
Many are the woes of the wicked, but the Lord's unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in Him.
I thought to myself - that's kind of cool. Unfailing Love. I even wrote it in the margin of my Bible. Unfailing Love. So I kept reading:
Psalm 33:5
The Lord loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of His unfailing love.
Psalm 33:18
But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear Him, on those whose hope is in His unfailing love,
At this point, I stopped and thought - OK God. I get it. Unfailing love. That's what You are. I see and understand. And kept reading. . . .
Psalm 33:22
May Your unfailing love rest upon us O Lord, even as we put our hope in You.
Hey David - repeat much? Unfailing Love. Unfailing. Do you get it? It's hard to comprehend because we have nothing to compare it to on Earth. Love has failed us all a bazillion times. There is no such thing as unfailing love among humans. We can try as hard as we want - but we'll still fail each other. But God - His love is UNFAILING. It never fails. Ever. I don't know - it kind of blows my mind. I'm not sure I trust it. I mean, I do. But. . . it is very hard to imagine. It's hard to trust that He will never fail me since everybody else has at one time or another. Surely I'm not the only one with these trust issues?

No comments: