Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Redeeming Love


I'm not much into romance novels. I've always shied away from anything by Francine Rivers. I'd heard she was good, but just wasn't interested. Sci-fi is just more my style. But this book is worth the read. It's based on the book of Hosea. God commanded Hosea to marry a prostitute who would break his heart over and over. God allowed Hosea to fall in love with her - just as she was. He got his heart smashed a million times. Hosea had to rescue her from prostitution a few times; had to bear the fact that she had children by other men; and had to purchase her from slavery.

God used Hosea to show us how much He loves us. Hosea's love for his wife is just a glimpse of what God's love is for us.

Amazing to me how God puts things in front of me that show me how's it really supposed to be. How the only way I will be filled is when I fully accept His love for me - that it doesn't take any work on my part. I don't have to earn it. It's there, free. . . I just have to accept it.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I love the story of Hosea and Gomer. I'll have to check out this book.

Anonymous said...

God's love for us is unmerited and un everything we can dream of. The story of Hosea and Gomer is for everyone who does not have my dog, Bonehead. If you had my Bonehead, you'd understand. He loves me when I'm angry, hurt, hungry, filthy, and when I've been wrong and nasty to others all day. He does not care if I'm smart or dumb, fat or thin, old or young, rich or poor, spiritual or not, He just wants to love and be loved. He's taught me much about love.

Anonymous said...

Well, I must say I do feel like the idiot, I recently finished "Shopaholic Ties the Knot" and a couple weeks ago wrapped up "Me and Mr. Darcy"...
In all seriousness, I love the complexity of God because it allows Him so much freedom and so many options to show us His all encompassing love. He loves you and He knows you and He made you and He can meet you where you are, love you where you are and make a beautiful jewel no matter how charcoal you are - because HE is HIM - an unstoppable and unwavering force of love and forgiveness and acceptance and grace!