Sunday, January 06, 2008

Grace

I swear our pastor must have said the word grace 500 times during church tonight. First of all it started with the music. Bleeker is so good at picking songs that match the sermon. All of the songs were about God's unending love and amazing grace. I had to sit down, listen and cry. Why do I continue to wear mascara to church? And I wish I wasn't always alone. It would be nice if I'd have these break-downs when I know someone sitting next to me. (Of course, would I allow myself to break down if I was sitting next to someone I knew?)

I guess I'm in a heart crisis. That sounds really stupid. But I can't think of any other way to describe it. I don't understand grace. I know what it means. But why? Why does He continue to shower my stupidity with grace? How am I worth that? (I know, I know - I'm listening to Satan's lies again.)

Here's the thing - without being too detailed. (Although, why I'm hiding details is beyond me. That's not really my style. I'm sure you'll figure it all out. I'm just refraining from being graphic. Like Patterson said in his sermon tonight - I'm just keeping it PG-13 instead of R.)

Why does God continue to shower grace on sinners who know they are sinning but still continue to sin and still continue to want to sin? It doesn't make sense to me. Like, shouldn't I stop - shouldn't the desire to sin stop once you realize you are heading toward sin? Wouldn't a good Christian flee from temptation as it says in the Bible? I feel like I'm sprinting toward the sin. And I'm not even strong enough to ask God to take the temptation away because I don't want it taken away. I want what I want. God even gives me outs - clear cut ways out of temptation and I refused to take it. I knew it was an out from Him - KNEW it was. Didn't want to have anything to do with it. I basically said, "Nah, God, I've got this one taken care of. I don't need Your help." How can that be forgiven?

At the same time, I want to do what is right in God's eyes too.

But I think I've already decided to do this particular sin. I've certainly got my toes across the line already. How dumb is that? Knowing something is wrong but still knowing that you'll probably end up doing it anyway? So my question becomes - why would God give me grace if I want to do something that I know is wrong but I want to do it anyway? At what point does He finally roll His eyes and say enough is enough? In case you were wondering, I'm not using the "get out of jail free" card. I'm not sinning because I have the freedom to do so. I'm not sinning because I know I'll be forgiven. I'm wondering why on earth I'd be forgiven if I'm knowingly doing something wrong.

How can my heart want two polar opposite things? Well - let's be honest now, shall we? My heart wants one thing. My physical being wants another. It's a battle.

I talked and cried and prayed with my home group leader on the phone tonight. And I meet with my counselor tomorrow. (She got on my case last week because she finally figured out that I'm a master of changing the subject when things get too deep and I start to tear up. As soon as those tears start coming, my brain goes into overdrive to figure out a way to get the tears/feelings far far away from me. I'm really good at it - it's automatic. I'll even make it sound like my changing the subject is not really changing the subject so the person will listen and then - poof - the feelings/tears are gone. She said she'd be more vigilant on not letting me run away from those. She's going to try to break the master down. Ha. We'll see. ;-) Ann, I know you're reading. I'll tell you right now - I won't want to break down when I see you tomorrow. Be ready for some masterful strokes of genius.)

Pray for me. I'm not praying the right way. I'm trying, but not really meaning it. I'm even praying for help so I can mean what I'm saying. Augh! Why does He love me so much? I'm a mess.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Erin!
First, he loves you so much because he created you. How do you feel about Elyssa? What could she do that would make you stop loving her or stop wanting the best for you - you may sincerely wish she would make different decisions or choose different things, but she's gone against your direction before and you stood there, open arms waiting for the reconciliation, you didn't kick her out and stop loving her. And your love for her doesn't hold a candle to God's love for you!

And the fact that despite how strong your physical desires are (that He created in you) - your HEART - the heart that transcends your conscious and cognitive thoughts is pleading for God and running to Him and wanting to WANT His way in your life - and He loves that and loves you. The greatest desire of your heart is to love and honor God - he knows that. It's the humanness that He built into us that wants what the human wants - I'm telling you, Erin, you're a Star Wars movie!
This is Christy, but it looks like I can only publish "Anonymous" - I don't "get" this blogger thing!

Anonymous said...

A mess? No! Conflicted? Yes! My advice is simple, yet workable. Break down your decision-making process (yes you do, we all have one) into priorities. First, God's will. Second, your's. It's interesting, here's two quotes from your blog. "I want what I want." "I want to do what is right in God's eyes too." Instant conflict! Monumental conflict! Here's a solution, but it's tough. When "what you want" conflicts with what you KNOW to be God's will, and what "you want" is more important than what He wants, simply look upward and say to Him, "I really don't care what You want, I know best what's best for me." Years ago, I found this to be "the" most effective tool in resolving the conflicted issues in my life. I haven't had to resort to using it since then, because I could never get it said. Like God, you have a child, and I would guess not a TOTALLY obedient one, yet, I'll bet you NEVER give up on your child, and most importantly, you NEVER will, just like God does not give up on His children. Keep fighting the good fight, treasure is laid up for you too.

Jen said...

Wow, Erin! You are an incredible writer! (must have been those TCA English courses!) I just read your comments on my blog...and I am telling you now that you are my FIRST priority when I come back in March. We are so totally going through some of the exact same things, it's almost eerie. I really believe God put us back in touch with one another with some pretty darn good timing. Hang in there, and know that I'm praying for you. :-)

Erin said...

Thanks for the comments and especially the prayers. I need them. I had a great meeting with my counselor today. I'm very mentally drained but there were some ah-ha moments. More on that another time.

Amy said...

looking forward to hearing about those ah-ha moments...