Sunday, December 03, 2006

An Apology from X

We met at Cristina's tonight for the trade-off. He said he wanted to talk to me, but I responded that I didn't want to talk to him. We got Elyssa in my car. He shut the door and started telling me he wasn't attacking me as a mother. He thinks I'm a great mother. I'm doing a great job raising her - he acknowledged that I'm doing most of it since he only sees her 6 days out of the month. I told him (Robin can be proud of me) that he can't talk to me the way he's been talking to me. He said he was trying to apologize. I said, "I haven't heard the words I'm sorry." He said, "I'm really sorry for the way I spoke to you." I think my jaw hit the ground.

I bet he's only said those words to me a handful of times in the 16 years that I've known him.

Of course, in typical Anthony fashion, he ended by telling me that I have to spend more time making sure Elyssa has quality clothes. He said I've done great at making her beautiful on the inside. Now I have to worry more about the outside. That's OK. I can't expect him to be different than he really is. Baby steps are OK.

No comments: