Saturday, September 22, 2007

Guys Are Weird

So my myspace IMing friend has IMd me a few times. He's having a rough time with his marital situation. The cool thing is how up front I'm being about God and how He's been there for me and that maybe he should try Him too. Of course we chat about other things and it's easy to get flirty while IMing and somehow guys always have to go sexual in some way. Why is that? Oh, never mind. I know why. And to be honest, I'm sure it's not all guys. I wish I wasn't such a sucker for a good writer.

But anyway - I was very up front about how I will save all that fun stuff until I get married. I'm proud of myself for that too, because I wasn't that up front recently with another bloke because I didn't want to ruin my chances to get a kiss. I very much now wish I had ruined my chances, but you live and learn. Anyway (I keep getting off topic) I was trying to tell him that I wanted to wait because if a guy could make that kind of commitment to me and still want me - then he's a guy worth keeping. So my IM friend says, "I don't believe in that." I said, "you don't believe in what exactly?" And he replies, "We'll save that for another time. I've got to go to bed." That was quite a quick exit.

Now I'll be really surprised if I ever do hear from him again, seeing as how he knows he's not getting any from me. And I don't care one way or another - he's got way too many issues - number one being that he's still married. But it still shows how weird guys are. (I don't know if I have any male readers anymore. No offense. You're not all bad.)

This whole thing is making me remember another IM friend I had. He was separated too, but a Christian and I fell pretty hard for him. That's putting it mildly. I crashed and burned. Last December we came to the conclusion that we couldn't talk anymore because I couldn't keep it just at the friendship level and he was in no place to go over the friendship line (plus who knows if the thought ever crossed his mind anyway.) It's been almost a year. That fact amazes me. I wrote about this a lot back then, feel free to look back through my pain. I haven't been able to.

I didn't think I would be able to live with that pain. I hadn't realized how hard I had fallen. I haven't seen him since either - we used to see each other at school occasionally. I've almost seen him twice this year, but strategically kept myself out of view. He was also at Wal-mart right before school started - his son came to say hi to me. Holy crap - did I try to go where I didn't think he'd go. I kept looking around, but also trying to hide. I wanted to see him, but I didn't want him to see me - it was comical. I don't know how to look him in the face. I've never fallen for someone and let him know about it and been rejected. Actually, I haven't fallen that hard very many times in my life. I felt like this guy knew me better than anyone ever did - ever. I opened my heart and then had to retreat. Wow that hurt. I've gotten very nostalgic about him. I wonder if he's OK. I hope his heart healed from his broken marriage. I wish something could happen between us. I keep hoping that someday he'll contact me again. It's a silly hope. He didn't feel the same way about me. I accept that now. But every time the phone rings and I don't recognize the number - a crazy hope overtakes me that it'll be him. He's like the first face that pops into my head. It's weird because it's been a year!

Which brings me to the point of this post. IM is very dangerous for me. I totally let my heart go out to the first guy. He was always a perfect gentleman - only slightly flirty, which of course I always second-guessed because I wasn't sure if he really was being flirty or if I just was hoping that he was. (He probably wasn't at all. I'm the one who had feelings - not him.) We filled an emotional need for each other. That's the dangerous part. Then there was this friend of a friend who I liked recently. And now I have this new IM friend who is very needy emotionally. But I'm very aware of the emotional trap that IM can lead to. I still think it's fun, but I hope I'm doing a better job at being guarded. I don't want to fall for someone this way again. It's too painful.

I'm not sure why I just rambled out that whole story. Except that my memories are all rushing up to the front and I wish for things that will never happen. But it's all in God's hands. He knows who is right for me. I just wonder why, after a year, the feelings haven't just gone away. Why are they still so near the surface? Then of course, I drift off into the "wouldn't that be the greatest story? How I liked him all this time and he liked me too but wanted to heal from his heartbreak and how we became friends again and fell in love. . . ."

It would be a great story.

No comments: