Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Hey Erin - You Listening?

Most of you know I've been struggling with a temptation recently. The thought that has gone through my mind is that everyone else has done it, so why can't I? Everyone else has their "fun" and has survived so - why can't I? Why do I have to make the right choice? My body is telling me one thing - my mind another - and my heart knows the truth. But ~ I want what I want.

I think we all have a struggle with something. And it can change to a different struggle over time. I think we try to hide these struggles from everyone because either we're that prideful or we're that ashamed (which is actually just another form of pride).

I've been very much up and down in my decision making process. I've made up my mind that I'm going to go ahead and do what I want if the opportunity presents itself. I've been back to I'll wait. I've thought about doing what I want again. At this moment, I KNOW I don't want to be used - and that's a big improvement! It's not my intent to do the wrong thing.

A few days ago I bought the new Casting Crowns CD. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet - Elyssa makes me listen to High School Musical 2 every time we're in the car. But I think it's because God wanted me to really hear a song today, when it was just me, quiet in the car. I'll paste the lyrics here, but you need to listen to it sometime. It's worth thinking about. Our downfall is many times just a slow fade.
Slow Fade/Casting Crowns/The Altar & The Door
Be careful little eyes what you see
It’s the second glance that ties your hands
As darkness pulls the strings.
Be careful little feet where you go
For it’s the little feet behind you that are sure to follow

It’s a slow fade when you give yourself away
It’s a slow fade when black and white are turned to gray
And thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day
It’s a slow fade, it’s a slow fade

Be careful little ears what you hear
When flattering leads to compromises, the end is always near
Be careful little lips what you say
For empty words and promises leave broken hearts astray

It’s a slow fade when you give yourself away
It’s a slow fade when black and white are turned to gray
And thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid

When you give yourself away
People never crumble in a day

The journey from your mind to your hands
Is shorter than you’re thinking
Be careful if you think you stand
You just might be sinking

It’s a slow fade when you give yourself away
It’s a slow fade when black and white are turned to gray
And thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid
When you give yourself away

People never crumble in a day
Daddies never crumble in a day
Families never crumble in a day

Oh, be careful little eyes what you see
Oh, be careful little eyes what you see
For the Father up above is looking down in love
Oh, be careful little eyes what you see

4 comments:

Amy said...

Wow! Those are powerful lyrics!

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic, Erin. And WOW.
Another thought I had on something you said, "Other people have done it and survived"... the fact is that's true, but "survived" is as good as it got. It wasn't a "great" thing for any amount of time... it was failure leading up to it, during and after - never a feeling (even temporary) of fulfillment, contentment of happiness. It was teeth clenched, fear wrapped failure and, yes, "survival" at the end... but you require WAY more than mere survival. AND, the moment of "bliss" could delay what your heart truly desires because once you fall and you have to spend more time healing and rebuilding and working through guilt and forgiving yourself... you've waisted precious time on the road to God's true gift for you... and you haven't gained ANYTHING. OK. I'm done - you know I love you - that was just the thought I had when I read "survived". =)

Erin said...

I totally get your point about "surviving." If we have the option of surviving or thriving, why would we pick the route that leads to just survival?

I'm with ya. I get ya. :-)

Them Chandlers said...

Erin...

Thank you for stopping by our blog and especially for praying for Matt! This weekend was just the right word...praise the Lord for Eric :)

Please stop by our blog any time you feel like it!!