Sunday, September 30, 2007

Promises, Promises

Sometimes I wonder if God has these conversations with Pastor Matt and tells him what he needs to preach on because Erin needs to hear it. But I guess the truth of the matter is that I'm not the only one who struggles with this crap. Why do we get like that? Believing we are beat down by something different and new and that no one would understand. It's craziness.

Matt is the greatest pastor ever in the history of the world. (OK that may be stretching it, but he really is awesome!) He loves taking us through complete books of the Bible. I started at The Village last year when he was ending up Ecclesiastes. Then he went through the book of Romans. Now he is going through the book of Luke. It's so awesome to hear connections and lessons that he can pull from the scripture. It's cool to go through a book that you've read a million times (OK maybe not millions!) and get something totally different from it.

Matt started out his sermon with how many of us don't believe the promises of God. Yeah, we read them. We understand them. We get it, cognitively. But we don't believe it. He gave 3 examples:
  • God will give us an out when we are tempted - He won't give us more than we can handle. (1Cor 10:13)
  • He will complete the good work that He started in us. (Philippians 1:6)
  • "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him." (Romans 8:28)
I could add to that list of promises:
  • For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11)
  • Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your Heart. (Psalm 37:4)
  • God sets the lonely in families. . . . (Psalm 68:6)
  • ...but the Lord's unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in Him. (Psalm 32:10)
  • The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. (Psalm 34:18)
I could go on and on. I want to believe these.

Luke 1.

Zechariah wanted proof of the promise. He was OLD. His wife was OLD. Then some angel appears and tells him he will finally get the son he has pleaded for. Zechariah wanted proof. "How can I be sure of this?"

Mary accepted that God could do anything. She is given the promise of bearing the Son of God. She asked how it will be done. She did not ask for proof. "I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said."

I worked the parking lot this morning. There was this girl who was so completely and utterly happy and laughing and she just looked so pure, so confident. She was so beautiful - and it was because she was so full of joy. Her inward beauty shone out like a lighthouse. She didn't care who was around - she was letting her happiness out. We spoke as she went in to church. I had a huge smile. Later, church let out and I was back in my spot directing traffic. The girl and her boyfriend drive by and she just lights up and waves and smiles at me - like we were long lost best friends. I don't even know her name. But I want that to be me. I want the happiness that I show lots of times to be that real and that pure and not just Erin trying to be happy because everyone expects her to be.

So how does this girl and the promises of God go together? I'd be willing to bet that she believes the promises in her heart - not just in her head.

The question I wrote at the end of my notes was "Do I believe He really loves me?"

Luke 1:37
For nothing is impossible with God.

2 comments:

Them Chandlers said...

I very much enjoyed reading this! I think Matt's the best too :) I promise I'm not biased! I think my favorite part of this post is the fact you were working in the parking lot. Thank you for serving in a not-so-sexy area of ministry (as Matt would say). I pray the Lord continues to pour out His promises on you!

SPace said...

Hey Erin,
Just wanted to stop by and say hello and let you know I'm thinking about you.

Stacy