Wednesday, January 03, 2007

My Goal for 2007

I have never heard anything about the resolutions of the apostles, but a great deal about their acts.
Horace Mann
I don't make resolutions - they don't last. But I have a goal for this year. A goal is different, because with a goal, you have to have a plan. It's not just something you say. You have to map out how you are going to achieve it.
Hebrews 10:22-23
Let us come near to God with a sincere heart and a sure faith, because we have been made free from a guilty conscience, and our bodies have been washed with pure water. Let us hold firmly to the hope that we have confessed, because we can trust God to do what He promised.
Hebrews 10 lets us know that Christ paid it all. There are no more sacrifices required - ever. In the Old Testament, people had to offer sacrifices when they messed up. They'd go to the Temple and tell the priest what they did wrong and he'd look in the Law and tell them they had to do this and that and kill a bull or goat and their sin would be forgiven. Jesus doesn't want sacrifices. He doesn't want legalism. He doesn't want me to follow a bunch of rules: you must dress this way, you must listen to this kind of music, you must not read these books . . . blah, blah, blah. He doesn't care about that. He cares about my heart.

In 2007, I want people to look at me and say, "There's a girl who loves Christ." I want to draw closer to Him. I don't know about you, but lots of times - I don't know how to do that. You hear about the things you should be doing (quiet time anyone?) but I'm not sure what that looks like. I've always felt so stupid, like this is something I'm supposed to innately know how to do. I thought that everyone else knew exactly what quiet time was. I didn't want to admit that I had no clue. Just sitting and reading the Bible didn't do it for me. I don't always feel closer to Him just by reading His word.

I listened to another sermon that helped so much. He says quiet time can look completely different to every person. He came up with two questions, which just opened my eyes.
  1. What stirs my affections for Jesus Christ? What, when I'm doing it, when I'm around it, when I'm in it, when I'm a part of it, what stirs my heart, what stirs my mind in it's affections towards Jesus? What, when I'm doing it, reading it, a part of it, wants to make me know and be faithful and walk deeply with Jesus Christ?
  2. What robs me of my affections? What robs my heart from really wanting to know and walk with and experience the fullness of Christ?
I've been thinking about my answers to those questions. I'm going to compile a list and share them with you soon.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Looking forward to that list.

Anonymous said...

I'm going the "goal" route, too... the prayerful, steady "God, guide me and keep control" route... He's bigger than the things I want to accomplish and overcome this year, but I'm not.

You are a great blessing and example!