Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Deepest Desire

Everyone has a deep desire for something. At least, I think everyone does. I think that's part of what makes us human. Wait - maybe it's more than that. Maybe it comes from the fact that we, as Christians, want the perfection of Christ right now. We know it's out there. We see glimpses of that Perfect Beauty and we chase after those glimpses with our whole beings. Sometimes we forget the Perfect Beauty and go solely after the glimpse. A friend told me that. It makes sense. And it makes me want to not finish this post because I'm suddenly aware of the fact that I'm chasing after the glimpse too much. Not physically chasing, or else the bug man wouldn't be on my case. Anyway . . . .

Maybe your deepest desire is for another baby. Maybe it's the desire to be content. Maybe it's the desire to heal from an old pain. If you've read much of my blog, you already know my deepest desire is to be married again.


I picked up my Beth Moore study on David again. (It's been ages - why do I start and stop so much? Where is my discipline?) I read through 1 Samuel 8 where the people of Israel tell Samuel that they want a king. Samuel feels rejected, but goes to God with their request. You know their biggest reason for wanting a king? All the other nations had one! Funny how that is still so true. It's keeping up with the Joneses, ancient style. Anyway, Samuel tried to tell them the bad parts of having a king, but the people didn't care. They wanted a king.

This is what Beth Moore had to say:
We can see so many truths in the situation. One lesson speaks of patience. God had already planned a king for the people. Their lack of patience was to cost them dearly.
God had David picked out for them. They got Saul because they wouldn't wait for God's timing. So maybe God has already planned a husband for me? Maybe I need to chill out? Maybe He already has your desire planned for you?
Samuel warned the Israelites about what they were getting into. Often when God does not readily give us what we want, it is because He knows what our desire would cost us. Faith sometimes means forgoing our desires because we trust Christ to have a better plan for our lives.
I continue to amaze myself at how often I take the reigns back from God. What the heck am I thinking? I know better than God? Could what I want be a huge mistake? Should I be more honest? Could who I want be a mistake? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe it's just timing. Do I have the faith to wait for God's timing? Is it possible that God has a better idea about what's best for me?

When do I finally learn that?

1 comment:

Amy said...

We're all guilty, in one form of another, of taking the reigns back. When you realize it, don't beat yourself up, just give them back to him.