Thursday, March 22, 2007

Spiritual Star Wars


I was reading and this paragraph made me pause. It made me think of my Christian walk. (Fulier is a Jedi Master and Etain is his Padawan/Apprentice.)
Yes, she could use the Force. When she felt confident and controlled, she could master everything Fulier had taught her; but those days could be few and far between. She wrestled with a temper unbefitting a Jedi. She watched those with serene acceptance of the Force and envied their certainty. She wondered why Jedi blood had bothered to manifest itself in someone who was so fallible.

Etain hoped she could manage to use the Force to do something more momentous than moving planks if the situation demanded it. She was certain that the next few days would test her beyond her limits.
Do you ever feel totally fallible? Of course, obviously we are. Etain is alone on the world of Qiilura - her Master has died. She alone has to succeed in the mission. She only has what she has learned and the Force. I feel like that sometimes - I only have what I have learned and God to help me through whatever - loneliness, single-parenting, possibly dating again (gulp!). Sometimes I don't feel like I'm doing it the right way. I look at others who (I perceive) "do Christianity" better than me. I envy the ease at which they seem to trust in God. I envy the time they seem to spend alone with God. (Seem being the key word - I know what seems is not always true.)

I've read this book before and Etain succeeds triumphantly. Sadly, I haven't been able to read my life before so I'll just have to wait and see.

(Can't you understand why Star Wars is so awesome? It's so much more than just a science-fiction move.)

1 comment:

Carlotta said...

You know, as someone who just can't get into the SW/science-fiction "thing", I just love how you get so much out of it--and at such a deep and spiritual level. Makes me wish that I did have a little spark of interest...but alas, I don't.
But keep sharing this kind of stuff with us, whether we are SW fans or not, because your writing about it is great and is full of amazing lessons, both in your life and now in ours as you share with us.
:)