Thursday, March 01, 2007

Darth Vader and C3PO


Christy asked, so I thought I'd just explain. You probably don't see it, but that's a very sweet picture over there to the right. You have to look beyond Vader's mask and remember that Anakin is inside. Hopefully you know enough about Star Wars to understand.

The photo comes from a Star Wars comic (yes - I am that much of a dork.) The comic takes place during The Empire Strikes Back. It is on Cloud City. Vader has arrived in order to capture Han and Leia. He wants to use them as bait to get Luke. C3PO gets blown to bits and Stormtroopers bring Vader the pieces. He has a moment where he remembers building a protocol droid as a boy. He has no idea that it is actually C3PO he is holding. It brings back memories of his mother and of his love for Padme. He holds Threepio's head close to his own and I just love that.

Underneath that mask is a man who knows how to love. He's hiding in the darkness. He's wasting the love that is in his heart. Love is his gift. I want to get in the story and yell at him, "Don't let the hurt destroy you. Open your heart back up again. Love is a great, wonderful and amazing thing. Very few people know what it means to really love another - why on earth would you hide it away? Why wouldn't you risk it all again? Yeah, it got screwed up before. Yeah, you got hurt. But to hide your gift and not experience it again? That doesn't make sense!"

Real people need to hear that message too.

The other reason I like the picture - and this is a stretch, and some of you may think it sacrilegious - in Star Wars, Vader is the Maker. Threepio is the created. He's alway saying, "Oh, thank the maker!" God is our Maker. We are His created. The picture helps me remember that God loves me. It goes with my title. That's probably really stupid to some of you - and that's OK. This is my blog. I can be stupid.

I need help remembering that He loves me.

I need help remembering that His love is enough.

11 comments:

Amy said...

This moment might be the first in my life where I actually want to watch the movies. I know the moment won't last, but it is here now. You have given me insight into the series that nobody has been able to do before.

And no, you don't sound stupid, but yes, it is your blog and you are allowed to be stupid.

Anonymous said...

I never realized Star Wars could be beautiful! But, that's a great moment captured!

Carlotta said...

Wow! Such depth and emotion to something I always just thought of as "just science fiction"...which in my mind never brought forth feelings of depth, emotion, or love to be completely honest... I think your post and that sketch is beautiful. Thank you for giving me a perspective that is quite different than I had on my own. I love it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin-
As a fellow Star Wars fan (although not nearly the fan you are from what I've heard,) I find your thoughts on this very interesting. I've always been of the opinion that the Star Wars saga certainly has some underlying themes that can relate to spirituality. Thanks for posting this. I think it's very insightful...not dorky at all :)

Erin said...

Yipee! Another Star Wars fan! Thanks for the comment.

Are you the Jeff who knows Amy and/or Carlotta? I think I've read some of your comments on their posts.

There is a cool book called "Christian Wisdom of the Jedi Masters." It's a good read if you're interested. The author's last name is Staub.

May the Force be with you!

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's me. Amy and Carlotta are VERY good friends of mine. So how much Star Wars stuff DO you have (if I dare ask??) I have some movie posters and a few other things. I used to manage a theater so I was able to get my hands on a few items.

Erin said...

Well - my classroom at school is decorated entirely in Star Wars (posters, toys, books). We had Star Wars day last year for the first time. I'll email Amy my school website and you can check out the movie a co-worker made. :-)

My office at home is all Star Wars - some of my nicer stuff. I don't go for expensive usually. I'm actually into the Expanded Universe books - I have over 100. There's a picture in my blog (Dec I'm so bored).

So - have you read all my posts? Or you only came to visit the Star Wars post? Just curious as to how much of me you know. :-) It's kind of not fair if you don't have a blog too. I tend to spill my guts here. Not that I mind you reading - it's out there for the world to see.

Anyway, nice to "meet" you. :-)

Amy said...

Jeff? Blog? That's really funny, Erin!

Carlotta said...

Been trying forever to get that man blogging...

Erin said...

Jeff - looks like you've got to start blogging. Amy's over there laughing at you and it'll stop Carlotta's nagging!

:-)

I'm just teasing of course.

Anonymous said...

Well, just join the crowd. I'm used to the laughing, nagging, teasing, etc. :o) Maybe I will put up a page on here, but don't expect to see too many blogs from me. I'm kinda the strong silent type...well, the silent type at least. Once in awhile, if I feel I have something worthy to write about, I will. But it doesn't happen often, as you can already tell from Amy and Carlotta.