Tuesday, March 06, 2007

God Loves Me (& You)




I've written about this book before - You Are Special by Max Lucado.

Elyssa had me read it to her tonight. If you've never read it, I strongly suggest getting it. It so perfectly explains why God loves us. I get tears in my eyes every time I read it.

It's about these dolls called Wemmicks. They give stars to other Wemmicks who are beautiful or smart or talented - you know, all that worldly stuff. If a Wemmick is not pretty or doesn't have any talents, the other Wemmicks give them black dots. One little Wemmick named Punchinello always gets black dots. He hates it. He finally meets a Wemmick who has no dots or stars! She says it's because she goes to visit with Eli, the woodcarver. She doesn't care about stars or dots. She only cares what her Maker thinks of her. Punchinello goes to visit Eli because he is so tired of getting dots - it doesn't seem right to him.

This is one of the pages that gets me. I get so down on myself - I'm not good enough. If only I could remember that being good enough has nothing to do with it. God loves me because I am His. He made me. Punchinello is confused - he doesn't get it right away either. Later Eli tells him, "The stickers only stick if they matter to you. The more you trust My love, the less you care about their stickers." Punchinello says, "I'm not sure I understand." Eli smiled and said, "You will, but it will take time. For now, just come to see me every day and let me remind you how much I care."

Can I just remember to go see my Maker every day and let Him remind me?

No comments: